Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sunny afternoon

Four of us went to the Town Hall on Dale Street this afternoon to leaflet a council meeting. Eleanor and Hazel had put this leaflet together, in colour. They used photos from the 'Cairns Street in Bloom' competition in the summer, where we had put the mad cap idea of making our street look lovely against all odds into practice. I should really tell you about this event that gave this blog it's name more. Promised... but not in this post. We managed to hand out most of the leaflets Eleanor had colour-copied on her own expenses. I will ask her to scan the leaflet in so I can publish it here as well. The ushers in town hall, one of them looking highly decorated, with a white navy style cap, and decorated with what looked like medals on his immaculate double breasted uniform where friendly and chatty. The admiral of the ushers was interested in our leaflets and accepted a copy.
Most councillors took one. I am pretty sure Marilyn Fielding, responsible for Neighbourhoods and Housing in the executive board of the council was one of them. She's also got a letter from me some weeks ago. This letter went to a number of addresses. The councillor on the executive board I had it addressed to was Peter Millea, responsible for Regeneration and Transport. Little did I know that Renewal as in Neighbourhood Renewal Area does not fall into his department, but it's Neighbourhood that I should have targeted. Peter Millea kindly informed me that he had past the letter on to Marylin Fielding. No reaction from her though. Town Hall in Liverpool has a prominent location; standing in the entrance area I could look down Water Street and see the Mersey glistening in the late afternoon sun and thirty minutes standing there and trying to chat up our local government representatives was made enjoyable that way.
Later in the evening I went to a joint meeting by Duncan Society, Merseyside Environmental Trust and Liverpool Friends of the Earth. The occasion was the launch of their report into sustainability and regeneration, you can download it from their website. (Now I spent 15min to find a link to the download... will have to add it later.)
I was bullied into saying something about Granby street and the campaign to save our homes on that meeting. It somehow fitted into the meeting, so I muttered something about 'demolition' - 'want to keep our homes' - 'developer's profit' - 'council doesn't listen' - 'people are suffering from this' into the microphone. I am not a good public speaker, I can get completely muddled up in my string of words, but Becca, a friend, was appreciative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home