Saturday, October 07, 2006

A leaning Bay

On Friday my neighbour met some official looking guys on the street who said they have to demolish the bay windows of some houses in my street. They are dangerous and could fall on somebody or something. How lucky for the council that this happens just before a meeting where the executive board will decide on the approval of the developer Lovell's plans for my neighbourhood. My street would be eradicated, completely demolished. That some houses have to be propped up will give the developer some credibility in their claim that houses in my street can't be repaired. I spend some of my day in getting phone numbers from structural engineers to give us a second opinion. Is the urgency really required? We can see that there are gaps and cracks, but these are not new, and probably looked the same just a few month ago, and they might look the same in a few month if the houses are left standing (or leaning). Interesting is that my neighbours, including me, are very suspicious of any action the council takes. We don't believe that this is only about protecting us from collapsing bay windows, it will bolster their position. I also managed to speak to a councillor who will put a question to the executive board of the council about this sudden urgency. I will post his question and hopefully any asnwers here in due course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home